fot

Re: Joe Alexander's Retirement Project

To: <EISANDIEGO@AOL.COM>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Joe Alexander's Retirement Project
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:14:22 -0500
You bring up an interesting subject. In my limited TR racing experience
(racing since summer 1996, TR's since 1977), I have learned a tremendous
amount about racing wet liner TR's from an even more tremendous variety of
sources. The FOT folks are highest on that list, but suggestions come from
all over. I have met or talked to over a dozen folks who are out of racing
but have fond memories of their TR racing days. Two still have their old
cars packed away (No, No!  I'm not telling!) Many of the racers who were
there in the beginning are still around, and some are known to folks on the
FOT list. Wouldn't it be a wonderful thing if the collected wisdom of King
Kas, the Tullius gang were put on paper? Add in the comments, tech tips and
photos from the current TR wizards and any of the old guard we can find and
we would have one terrific racing manual / history book. Wouldn't the FOT
list be just the place to pull something like this together? Maybe we could
devise a scheme where-in we wrote an outline for the chapters, devised a
list of specific topics and questions and emailed back and forth with the
info. Someone could collect and organize the work in progress, maybe
splitting up the work into sections like a Bentley manual. With permission,
we could combine the Comp Prep Manuals, the BFE KEN G stuff and a variety of
other material all in one place. If you've seen the book "Winning, A Race
Drivers Handbook" by George Anderson, you've seen this type of approach in
action. Many sections have people like Carrol Smith and Bertil Roos
commenting with opposing viewpoints. I can see it now, with a subject like
TR cylinder heads. I've heard of special factory heads, pistons that popped
up into the head, and so on. Am I nuts?

Bob Kramer
Hill Country Triumph Club
rgk@flash.net