fot

Dual Brake master cylinder for a post 60000 TR3A

To: "Friends of Triumph" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dual Brake master cylinder for a post 60000 TR3A
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:18:14 -0400
Amichi,

As my current master cylinder is beginning to fail, I am considering
changing (upgrading) my TR3A from a single brake master cylinder to a dual
system for safety considerations.  I am trying to do it as a bolt in,
without having to change sheet metal.

My research has indicated that the Late (1500) Spitfire and MGC brake
masters cylinders are potentially good candidates.  Both of these are tandem
cylinders, with one seal behind the other in a common bore and share the
mounting flange of the TR3's Girling cylinder.

It appears that the MGA brake/clutch cylinder can be rebuilt into a dual
brake master.  From what I can tell, it will fit in the space my single bore
brake cylinder occupies.  I think (aside from having MG designated Girling
parts in my TR3A) the MGA system sounds like a winner because it is a true
dual bore system.  I hope to have one of these in my hands this weekend to
check fit up, when I replace my failing single master cylinder.

I'd anticipate using the stock "tin can" reservoir, split between braking
systems, with the clutch picked up on one of the circuits, or with a
separate reservoir, but haven't really thought this out yet.  First I need
to find a master cylinder that will fit.

Does anyone know what setups have been used, or done one?

Thanks,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A Street/AutoX
1974 Norton 850 Commando