fot

RE: Reciprocating mass

To: "'Paul Richardson'" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Reciprocating mass
From: Jack Wheeler <jwheeler@robus.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:08:09 -0500
Paul, Last night I weighed a TR-3/4 connecting rod with caps and bolts,
86MM piston with rings, gudgeon pin and snap rings.  The total weight of
all of this is 1,658.7 grams.  I just grabbed a rod at random out of the
box.  I know from experience that Triumph used different forgings (?)
through the years, and as a result, there was some variation in the weight
of the rods.  (When I selected a set to use for the race car, I would try
to find a light set.)  Therefore, the above figure should be viewed as an
estimate.

Could you help me out with a British translation.  Where does the term
'Gudgeon' pin come from (we call it a wrist pin)?  When I first read the
section of the workshop manual which described the process called 'Reaming
the Gudgeon pin bush'  I thought I was reading an 'X' rated novel!