fot

Re: figure 8 gaskets

To: <BillDentin@AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: figure 8 gaskets
From: "Mordy Dunst" <mordyd@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:56:47 -0600
I'm not sure how much a hard piece of copper will compress down to when it
is squeezed by the liner.  I would guess that it may not... I would guess
the liner sidewalls would buckle first..

I could test it ...build a steel jig and place a liner into it and compress
it with four 1/2" studs to similar torque (105 lbs)  then remeasure the
height while compressed...  Has anyone done this already??
Do the same thing with various metal shims and without to see difference...

I would bet that SS would NOT compress at all.  In order to ensure that the
installed liner height is proper I would think that a deck plate (old head )
be used to clamp that liner down -then removed and liner height remeasured
....  What is unclear is- if the liner actually buckles while loaded -then
springs up when the load is removed and if this plays a role (if any..).

I know that when I build my engine -I use a torque plate to load the
liner...

1) Ought liners be matched for waist thickness?

2) Can liners of different manufacture be used in a "mix and match" style?

Maybe for a tractor engine in a high performance tractor engine?.... .

Mordy