fot

Re: figure 8 gaskets

To: "Mordy Dunst" <mordyd@email.msn.com>, <BillDentin@AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: figure 8 gaskets
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:10:50 -0700
I have found that the OE copper figure 8 gaskets do not compress one bit.
The old ones that we have removed from engines are the same thickness as the
new ones that come with new sets of AE powermax pistons and liners.  They
all measure .018" thick.  The steel gaskets measure .002" thinner and not
only do they have a tendency to corrrode, they don't lift the liners up high
enough so they don't have the necessary projection and the engine will blow
head gaskets.  We used to have a lot of problems with high compression race
engine when there was .002" difference in liner projection in any two
adjacent cylinders or if a cylinder maesured higher on one side than on the
other.  We now glue a piece of copper wire that is .012" thick into one of
the groves of the steel racing gasket with contact cement before we iinstall
the head gasket and use silicone sealer sparingly around the coolant
passages.  Since we ahve been using this proceedure,  head gasket problems
have totally disappeared!  We torque the head bolts to 95# with permatex
"never sieze " onthe threads and then retoque the head hot as soon as it is
warmed up.  It never needs to be tightened again.
It is a sure fix.  It even will seal a head that is a lightly wavey or weak.
In an emergency we have glued wire onto both sides of the gasket.  With a
steel gasket, we have found that .012 " is the ideal thickness, thicker will
have a tendency to allow water to leak out the sides of the head gasket and
up the head studs, thinner won't seal as well.

Regards, Greg Solow