fot

RE: Jack and Joe in Las Vegas

To: "'Paul Richardson '" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Jack and Joe in Las Vegas
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:23:22 -0600

Paul Richardson wrote:

>When you get to Las Vegas don't take any
>notice of any blonde ladies with big ear
>rings etc. that say things like "Wanna
>come back to my place to try some of my
>home made country cookies."

I was in Las Vegas a week ago for the SEMA show - didn't see any big ear
rings, but the city does have the world's largest collection of blonde women
over 5' 10" weighing under 100 lbs.

My goal, while wading through TWO convention centers worth of displays
(apparently featuring every North American and Asian manufacturer of
automobile aftermarket parts), was to find some part/tool/technique that
might be usable on a TR6 vintage racer . . . I should have known that this
was doomed to failure!

There must have been 10,000 "sport/competition" wheels - all chromed and all
looking like the rim would break off at the first hard turn.

I did find a lady who runs a casting factory in Ohio - they can copy
virtually any part in cast magnesium or aluminum . . . but using sand
castings - not necessarily the best technique for parts under stress.

Also found a company that makes billet crankshafts - anything from one-offs
to production runs. But when I mentioned the word "Triumph" to the rep I was
talking to, he immediately noticed that there were other customers needing
attention.

The final defeat was discovering that no one at the huge Castrol booth
complex was even aware of the fact that castor beans had ever been used as
the basis for a motor oil . . .

>There's also a place out in the desert not
>too far from LV called the "Chicken Ranch."

The farthest we got into the desert was to the Las Vegas motor speedway. Too
early for the American Le Mans race, but we did see a crackerjack evening of
World of Outlaws midget[?] racing. Based on driving style, this is
apparently a feeder series for future vintage Sprite drivers  :-)

Jim Hill
Madison WI