fot

RE: Ends, Beginnings

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ends, Beginnings
From: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:15:14 -0600
All,

You know, I had the same experience on Thanksgiving.  Must be something
about the coming winter and the need for storage space.

In 1991, I bought a 71 GT6 which I had intended to restore.  Fresh out
of school, I had less than no money to work with and so I spent the
first three years collecting change in a jar and polishing the car.  It
had sat in the sun behind a barn for years and was faded from Pimento to
Flat Tomato Soup.  Weeks of work, a box of cotton diapers and a jar each
of rubbing and polishing compound later, the car looked like a
glittering jewel -- all the way down to the bottom eight inches or so
which had totally rusted away, of course.

Eventually, I transferred the car to someone with the skills, tools and
facility for body repair and bought Colonel Mustard in its place. The 71
came back to me recently, the guy having lost interest.  Nothing for it
but to strip all the useable bits off of it and send the body shell to
the crusher.  It would have been a truly heroic restoration.

But I'd swear the thing was looking back at me reproachfully as it went
off on the back of dad's pickup.

So now we've got a lovely spare GT6 frame, bonnet and mechanical bits.
Now where'd I go with that MkIV Spit body tub...?

Scott