fot

Re: Purpose of this list

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Purpose of this list
From: "Janice/Matt Matthews" <matthews-home@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:50:58 -0600

R. John Lye  wrote
> The original concept, or at least my understanding of such, was
> that it was to be a place where Triumph racers could talk about
> racing related topics, whether they be current road racer, vintage
> racer or autocrosser.

>Tangents as such are not a problem, and in fact,
> they can be quite useful in that they can let us know the person
> behind the visor - that is, until such tangents take over and dominate
> the conversation.

>When I mentioned
> "technical Triumph-racing-related" topics, I was thinking more
> of performance questions: engine preparation, suspension tweaks,
> where to get shocks dynoed - that sort of thing.  These sorts
> of things are likely to be of interest to anyone who races a
> Triumph, whether US-based or overseas, I would suspect.  The
> history of Triumph in competition is also a strong interest for
> many of us, of course.

I agree with this as a primary focus. Actually that is why I joined and
dropped the other lists. I have, however, enjoyed the W.W.II spin offs
particularly.

I have noticed (true or in my imagination) that there is little in the way
of technical discussion, with rare exceptions. I have asked for technical
help several times and received it (we know who you are and thank you for
it). However, it is more often in the form of a response directly to me
rather than the group as a whole. It leaves me with the feeling that we are
competing against each other rather than against not-Triumphs.  I am a SCCA
FP Spitfire racer. I need all the Help I can get to be competitive with the
Spridgets. We try a little of this and a little of that, talk to the FV
racers about suspension, but an individual can only proceed slowly, a group
that shares solutions, and more importantly failures, can advance much
faster.

I will be glad to share what our car is like, what its problems are, what
solutions we have come up with and what changes we are making for next
season, if anyone is interested.

I realize we many of us are functioning under different rules and so what
one may do another may not (legally) but wisdom is wisdom. brainstorming
works.

Matt Matthews - Mike Kowalski
Houston Tx