fot

GT6/TR6 valve springs

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6/TR6 valve springs
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:53:26 EST
Happy Holidays guys, the transition seems to be going smoothly across the
globe at this point...

I'm still working on valve springs and pondering seat pressures, valve float
etc..  I'm assembling my brand new Isky "super comps" and shimming them to a
1.350 spring height to get 90 lb. of seat pressure.  I'm using stock steel
keepers, tubular pushrods and "Yellow book" valves with a .468 valve lift.
The yellow book and the TR6 book both tell me to go for 65 lb. seat pressure
but my machinist has fits and insists I need the 90 lb. to forestall valve
float.  Is there a reasonable calculation I can do for all this?  Is there a
sound rule of thumb?  The Isky catalog has seat pressure at 115 lb. for a
spitfire which has shorter valves so the 90 sounds about right in that
respect.  Any enlightenment will be welcomed.  GT6Steve@AOL.com

BTW, the 1.65 rockers are going back on the shelf for now, Thanx for the good
advice from all.  Steve