fot

RE: GT6 suspension Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GT6 suspension Question
From: Robert Bownes <rbownes@neworks.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:23:18 -0500
John, as usual, brings up some good points.

As I recall, the GT6 springs are already substantially stiffer than the
Spit's springs (to handle the weight difference). In my street GT, I've
gone to coilover's in the front. One of my better moves. If I can ever
get my comp springs and shocks back, the springs will go into the GT.
Coilover's for the back would, in my estimate, also make a HUGE
difference. I've put some serious thought into crafting a road race
legal full independent rear conversion for the GT chassis. It wouldn't
be especially hard (replace the spring with an A arm and put in a coil
over, perhaps even move the coil over from the stock shock location with
a rocker arm.)

Should be an interesting ride.

> >1. Since the front weight is significantly less (with
> fiberglass bonnet
> >and 4 cylinder), what is the preferred front spring
> combination to use.
> >Shorten the GT6 ones, buy SPit competition springs, or some other
> >strategy?
>
> You really need to think of the front and rear stiffness as a system.
> If the car is already neutral, for example, and you make the front
> stiffer, you need to stiffen the rear as well or you will induce
> understeer. This philosphy is true for both springs and sway bars,
> by the way.  As I recall, the GT-6 springs are already stiffer than
> the Spitfire ones, and if you shorten them, you're making them even
> stiffer - so if you do that, you'll need to stiffen the rear a
<deleted>