fot

Re: TR4 Engine Questions

To: lee-cc@worldnet.att.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Engine Questions
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:49:56 EST
I am sure Jack and others will have better answers than I have.

The sleeves are supposed to protrude from the block a few thousands of an
inch to give you a good seal when installing your head (cut about 0.175 ")
with the steel shim gasket (shaped for the head combustion chamber).  You
should try to get a copy of Kas's little black book.

I have run with several liners with chips out of the skirts, which may not be
acceptable with more professional and knowledgeable engine builders.  You
must be sure there are no cracks in the liner above the liner seat or figure
8 gasket.

We always bored out stock liners to give the clearance we wanted with the
pistons.  We use to use 0.007" to .008" clearance to minimize the chance of
piston rub from overheating.  I am sure Kas and Group 44 used considerably
less clearance.

Here is a question from me to FOT: Certain individuals in the past use to
bore out stock liners to accommodate 87 mm plus 0.030" over pistons.  Is it
possible to do the same thing with 87 mm plus 0.040" over pistons, or will
the liner walls become too thin?

Good luck,
Bill Emery