fot

Re: Spotted Dick

To: mikee@ragtops.com
Subject: Re: Spotted Dick
From: Susan Hensley <susan@bearcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:36:43 -0600
Hi!

This is a hysterical question at this time, since I went through this
exact question sequence last Friday, before the Red River Triumph Club
annual holiday party.  I did make Spotted Dick with custard, and got an
11 out of 10 from Sheila Wood (Duncan's wife), who grew up in England.

I used lard instead of suet (yeah, TRY to find suet in Dallas).  Suet is
a hard animal fat (we pressed seeds into it to use for birdfeeders when
I was in grade school) and lard is processed fat, so they are very
similar.  Currants are just that, and should be found next to the
raisins in the baking section of the store.  They are smaller and
harder, and have a slightly more intense flavor than raisins.  SunMaid
makes them, and they are in an orange box.  A glass or porcelain-type
(crockery) bowl can be substituted for the pudding basin, and caster
sugar is basically powdered sugar.  I used regular sugar and it was
fine.  To steam it, you place it in a large pot with water halfway up
the sides of the pudding bowl (the pudding bowl is tightly covered -- I
used foil) and simmer just at a boil for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  Make sure
the large pot is covered as well.

It sounds like we are using the same recipe (I think mine came from BPNW
or SpitBits or something) and it makes a small pudding.  You may want to
make two if there are many mouths to feed.  Mine was part of a large
selection of desserts, so it was fine.

I don't think you can hurt it -- just be sure to cut the lard into the
dry stuff until it makes coarse bits and there is no loose dry stuff
left.  A large fork will do the trick.

Good luck!!  Let me know how it comes out!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan  :)