fot

Re: Replacement of Historical Driver's Suit /stacks /OD

To: Catpusher@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacement of Historical Driver's Suit /stacks /OD
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:15:26 EST
Thanks for the suit info. Hardy.  I am going to continue this quest today:

In a message dated 1/27/00 3:13:41 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Catpusher@aol.com writes:

<< I was wearing a Worth suit at the time, which had a number of product
patches to cover holes (at least we used nomex thread!).

Good idea.  I never thought of this.  At least you had sponsor product
patches.  I would have had to use Superman, Captain Marvel, Howdy Doody, or
whatever.

"We ran OD wide ratio for some tracks, OD close ratio for others, and just
close ratio for others."

I would always run OD until the TR-3 transmission housing would crack.  Then
as backup, I would install a stock TR-4 four speed gearbox until I could
build another gearbox with OD.  I finally bought a TR-4 OD gearbox from Jack
Wheeler, which was damaged in the last explosion.  My gearbox priority is to
rebuild this one.

Until now, I was always told that OD was a waste due to the additional 25
lb., additional power required to turn it, the additional time required to do
more shifting, and the reduced reliability.  For some reason, my times were
always better with OD than without it.  Now that it is documented that the
Super Stars had been using OD from time to time, I guess I was not entirely
wrong.

Have a Happy Super Bowl Sunday to everyone,
Bill Emery