fot

Re: South of the Border...was Re: 'M80's'

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "Bob Lang" <LANG@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: Re: South of the Border...was Re: 'M80's'
From: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 16:03:02 -0800
I had a good friend who lived around the corner when I was a kid.  We made
"flash powder" by scraping magnesium sheets with the blade removed from a
wood plane.  We then ground up the mag. in a mortar and pestle until it was
a power.  mixed 50/50 with sulfur, it would burn instantaneously with a
bright flash.  Like the photographers "flash powder of old.  In a capped
piece of steel pipe it made quite a "bomb.
It would leave a 6" crater in an asphalt street!
    One year we threw a 1 lb. chunk of metallic sodium off the end of the
Dana Point, Ca. pier.(named after Charles Henry Dana).  The Pier is located
just around the south point of "Dana Point" and there are 40 or 50 ft. high
cliffs all around.  When a large chunk of metallic sodium hits water, there
is a vigorous (to say the least) chemical reaction which generates a lot of
heat and releases lots of hydrogen gas.  The heat ignites the hydrogen which
explodes and breaks up the chunk of Sodium into multiple pieces which are
thrown randomly about    Each piece , in turn, generates its own blast.
What you get is a series of multiple blasts, each generating its own
"children" randomly walking about on the surface of the water.  They
continue for maybe 2 or 3 minutes.
    We had thrown in 1/4 lb. pieces at a time previously, but never 1 whole
lb. at a time.  The explosion and sound of 1/4 lb. is loud. A whole lb.  at
once in an anchorage with cliffs around it sounded like a war had started!
Boy! We high tailed it out of there fast! It was pretty spectacular. Lights
in all of the houses on the cliffs started coming on. We were out of there!.
                                                                        Greg
Solow