fot

Na+

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "Bob Lang" <LANG@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: Na+
From: "Mordy Dunst" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 19:01:44 -0600
I like the story about the Na+.  In my case the sodium was not quite
finished reacting in my organic chem lab.  I can't recall the exact
circumstances but it had something to do with benzene..I believe.  Trying to
methylate it at the ortho position or some such nonsense.  In any event the
spent sodium   solution was emptied into the sink with the benzene...when it
hit the water the fire was just out of control.  The lab was nearly lost.
Lesson...don't put out a Sodium fire with water.