fot

Small bearing 1296 Spitfire engine

To: Friends of Triumph <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Small bearing 1296 Spitfire engine
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:00:42 -0700
This is particularly aimed at Kas, but if anyone has any inputs or
observations please chime in!

When I tore down the engine I will be using for my Race Car, I noticed
that everything was Standard (Bore, bearings, etc.).  But the number
three piston was not the same as the other three.  It had holes that
were located either side of the wrist pin on both sides extending
downward from the oil ring groove.

I mentioned this to others who have the same engine and discovered that
others have seen this same configuration.  My question is: "Was this
some sort of factory modification to solve an oiling problem with the
third cylinder?"

If so, what allowances should I make when building this up as a race
engine?

Regards,
Joe Curry

P.S. the piston is not stamped STANPART as the others are, but has the
part number 18697 on both the top and inside.
--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer