fot

Shaking off a tar baby.

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Shaking off a tar baby.
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 20:01:59 -0700 (MST)
At first, I figured it was going to ba another tar baby Triumph, a car that
once I lay my hand on it, can not be shaken off.  But such is not to be.

Early Saturday afternoon I stop by Pugs' house to pick up the kegs for the
Beach Party.  He mentions that a fellow called him about a TR3 for sale.
Turns out to be the person who bought a '58 project from me a while back.
Divorce has taken over his plans, and he needs to unload it.  Well, I figure
I'll deal with it after we get back from our little jaunt to the Tetons with
Chris and Pat.

We return a bit earlier than expected, thanks to me being in the grip of a
nasty cold.  I find the Team.Net server has some serious problems, so instead
of laying on the sofa sneezing and coughing my way through late night TV, I'm
up at the U, shuffling hardware.  I return home, and make another attempt
to wade through a few days' mail.

One message is from the current TR3 owner, explaining the situation, and saying
he wants $950 for the various bits and boxes that will eventually be a car.
At first, I assumed that was a typo, and he was asking $1,950, which would
likely still be a decent deal in the long run. I mean, $950 might cover the
cost of the powdercoated wheels and new engine internals and machine work he
got from me.

But no, his response to me indicates that $950 was the asking price, and the
car is slated to head to a California buyer soon.  On the one hand, I'm glad
the hulk didn't stick to my hand.  On the other hand, I think that even *I*
could have made a profit on this deal!  Drat.

mjb.