fot

Re: TR Gear ratios

To: Jack Brooks <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: TR Gear ratios
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:36:23 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Jack,

The Chris Harvey Triumph TR book has all the ratios listed in back. The
list covers all the big Triumphs. I have no idea how accurate it is, but
it should serve as a pretty good guide.

As for mixing and matching gear sets, it is do-able, but probably the
single best internal mod you can make is to change from bronze bushings
to steel. In order to accomodate this change, you'll have to swap the
second gear main shaft gear and counter shaft gears (they should be
swapped in sets) to the late style gear that used the steel bush. The
"later style" was used starting at around CF12500, accordning to the
boos, but my experience is that the changeover is considerably later,
like CF25000 or higher.

Then replace all the bushings with steel and then go from there
(gear-ratio-wise).

The broken second "top-hat" bushing is annoying at best and downright
expensive if allowed to "fester".

There is another consideration for swapping the gears - the synchro hubs
apparently used two different styles of "cut" and I'm pretty sure you
need to be careful with interchanging those parts. The TR6 Parts
Catalogue Volume 1 from TRF has a lot of detail about that issue. I
strongly suggest that you drop a line to Charles R. and request the TR6 book.

Other than that, the process is relatively simple to do the job. If you
have questions about making tools to do the job right, drop me aline. I
don't happen to have that book at work right now, something about
actually doing work that my employer wants me to do! ;-)

FWIW, even though I can do my own trannys, I often suggest to folks to
use one of the experts for the job. They'll see problems before you will
and this will cost you less in the long run. I'm pretty partial to a
person in CT named John Esposito and his business is Quantum Mechanics.
He's listed in the "monster list". There are (of course) several folks on
this list that would also be more than happy to make your tranny work
better, but I'll let them speak for themselves.

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |