fot

Vara@Las Vegas

To: Vintage-Race@autox.team.net
Subject: Vara@Las Vegas
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:14:20 EST
What started out as a huge question mark for all turned into a great weekend
for most.  The Las Vegas Motor Speedway was caught in transition by Vara's
date and rose to the occasion, almost.  The track was a temporary thrown
together to accommodate the schedule and everyone HATED it on Saturday
morning.  The new stuff was slick, the old stuff was rough and all the
corners were awful!  By Sunday afternoon, the new stuff was slick, the old
stuff was rough and all the corners were awful.  AND THE RACERS LOVED IT!  B
production only had 6 runners with a big block Corvette showing how to do it,
a CP Porsche shamed the other 4 Corvettes with a truly impressive drive.  I
don't know who was in it but he should be Proud!
C/D Production was an awesome show as the Porsches tried to support their
previous honor behind a super fast Elan and a marvelously driven Alfa.  The
leaders ran away but WOW what a show the Porsches gave in the nasty turn four
right hander.  Can we spell tricycle?
F production saw the Spit's own the show with assorted Europeans thrown in to
make them work.  I remember VARA when all the Spits were in SCCA.
I can't comment on the open wheelers as I was usually busy and I saw very
little of my groups race and so cannot comment.
A marvelous weekend, no incidents that I can recall and great racing by all.
Kudos to the VARA group for setting it all up despite the last minute
changes.  Steve