fot

Re: preventing loose rod bolts (was a couple questions)

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@mccarty-law.com>
Subject: Re: preventing loose rod bolts (was a couple questions)
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:39:30 -0700

"Barr, Scott" wrote:

> Ok, to summarize a part of this discussion:
>
>   1.  If I'm replacing the stock rod bolts with higher grade bolts (ARP
> in my case), then I need to torque those bolts to a higher torque spec
> or risk having them come loose, and

Scott,
I think that you will find that most (and certainly ARP)
bolts will have the recommended torque setting printed on
the package they were packaged in!

>   2.  if I had the rods machined on the Tobin-Arp machine with the stock
> bolts in place and torqued to the stock torque, then I need to send them
> back to be Tobin-Arped again (with the new ARP bolts in place, torqued
> to the higher setting) or risk having the big end out of round?

Maybe not.  If the Tobin-Arp machine caused the stock bolts
to stretch, I'd say yes, but if it is a benign process then
no.  If you are not sure, err on the side of caution and
have it redone.

Joe