fot

Lovely year for this time of weather

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Lovely year for this time of weather
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:05:43 -0600 (MDT)
It is a beautiful spring day outside, clear skies and sunshine, no need for
sweatshirts, sweaters or even long sleeves.  The kind of day where one simply
must have the top down.  But alas, I'm driving the Cherokee, not a roadworthy
Triumph to my name.

But the weekend wasn't a total loss, as the first Utah Region autocross event
of the season was held yesterday.  A nice day, though there was the occasional
chilly gust of spring wind.  I lathered on plenty of fresh sunscreen, not
wishing a repeat of the previous weekend's Wendover burn.  Friday night I
decide maybe I should haul Killer down to the shop and poke about, see if
the poor neglected Spit will even run.

I did manage to get a running car to the event on time, in spite of the effect
that the chance to Daylight Savings has on a fellow who is in the habit of
heading to bed sometime between 2 and 4 am.  It took me a while to wake up
at the event.  The good news was that I was working second, running third.
The bad news was that I was working second, running third.

So I had a chance to wake up, and since the event was held here at the U,
I could zip up to my office and run off a batch of flyers to promote the
upcoming IVR weekend on April 15 and 16th.  They start gridding cars, I
dash off.  I get back to the event a bit later, and the first car has yet to
make a run.  The first event of the year, what fun.  I';; just say that it
was a long day.  By the time I made my first run, the fresh coat of primer
on Killer's bonnet was twice as old as it was when I registered that morning.
What fun.

But I did get in a couple of decent runs.  The first run was a waste, it had
been so long since I had seen the course I probably could have had a better
time had I stopped and asked for directions.  But my second was much better,
one of those where I don't inhale once the green flag drops.  Third run
I managed to find the only cone on course that outweighed the Spit, and knocked
it right over.  So I ended up second, sandwiched between two brothers in a
first generation Scirocco.  They could be pesky this season, I better get those
new tires.

The car needs a bit of work, and we still haven't gotten the thing aligned
since it was first built.  But this week I need to get the shop presentable,
since the British Motor Club's Spring Tinker Day is coming up this saturday
the 8th.  Stop on by if you get the chance.

mjb.