fot

Re: Panasports Question

To: mgbme@tke.att.ne.jp, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Panasports Question
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:17:11 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/00 5:22:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mgbme@tke.att.ne.jp writes:

<< 1) The current wheels on my TR3 are 5" wide with 3.75" backset ( inner
 edge of the very outside of the rim to the mounting surface). Tires are
 5.50x15 Hoosier TD.
 2) The new wheels are available in 6" width.
     a) Anyone using  6" rims? Any concerns/suggestions?
     b) Any suggestions on dimensions for machining the backset for 6"
 rims?

John,

I have been using 7" X15" Panasports on my TR-3, with a 1/2" and a 1/4"
aluminum spacer plates on each side.  The wheel studs are Morrosso 3" X 7/16"
in stock hubs.  I am now fitting my aluminum hubs.  The fenders are flared to
cover the tires.

I have previously been using widen out steel TR rims (7" X 15").  I think the
offset of the TR rims is 3" and the Pannasports is 3 3/4".  In other words, I
lost 1 1/2" of track by using the Pannasports, and I haven't successfully
found wheel studs longer than 3" -- I may be able to go to grade 8 bolts if I
decide to.  I am still a good bit under the legal width per SCCA for the TR-3.

The tires are Good Year 23.0 X 9 X 15.  Good luck.