fot

Spitfire Suspension Set-up

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Suspension Set-up
From: russell.munns@bt.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 12:49:21 +0100
I am currently putting the final touches to my Race MKIV spitfire, ready to
compete in the TSSC Roadsports Class in the UK. The car has never raced
before and therefore the suspension etc has not been set-up for racing, as
yet. Can anyone please give me some idea of the initial settings to use
before I go testing. The things I want to know are as follows:-

Front/Rear Damper setting, hard or soft?
Front/Rear toe in?
Front camber (note I have already lengthened the bottom wishbone bolts ready
to accept spacers)
Front Ride height

The following notes should give you some indication on the car components.

The car has a 1500cc engine, this was chosen due to the extra power as
standard, over the 1300cc engine, and also because modifications are
seriously limited so getting more power from the 1300 would be more
difficult. The reason I mention this is the engine weight is higher than the
MKIII 1300, so this might effect the handling . Most of the cars in the
series run front springs ranging from 400-700Ib. I have chosen 500Ib front
springs as a starting point. The front shocks are adjustable for
bump/rebound and also have adjustable seats. The front roll bar is the
larger 1500 type. The rear leaf is standard but there is a 1" spacer between
the diff and the spring. The rear shocks are also bump/rebound adjustable.
The car runs on 5.5J13 wheels with 185 Yokohama A032

Please help a budding racer who cannot wait to get the car finished.

For more details please see my web site http://www.btinternet.com/~rjmunns

Thanks

Russell