fot

The Duke's first outing

To: fot@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: The Duke's first outing
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:43:13 EDT
Fellow Adrenaline Junkies-

Well, I can finally talk about it. The Duke of Oil made his first outing on a
bleak income tax day. Unfortunately, the outcome was almost as bad as the
weather. The Duke ran well until the engine was loaded, as in about the end
of pit lane. And just what was the bane of the weekend you ask? Silly
SU's...no. Lousy Lucas stuff...nope. Poor preparation...well not apparently.
Holy Holley Batman...the damn Holley fuel pressure regulator ...didn't. Well,
actually it did, too well. The fuel pressure went to zero at about turn one
and the poor car blubbered around back to the pits, where the pressure was
cranked up to about 6 pounds in an effort to keep some gas in the carbs.
Well, you know what that did, another misfiring lap with the mixture so rich
it wouldn't run. after much fiddling with float levels and pressure settings,
we could keep the thing running sort of. So out in the race it went, with the
driver turning the pump on and off at critical moments. The car got a finish,
but just barely.
On a good note, the major pieces all did their job. The engine stayed in one
piece, the trans shifted and the rear end turned the wheels. Even the
suspension settings which were a major guess weren't too far off. And best of
all we put it back on the trailer looking just about the way it did coming
off.

It can ALWAYS be worse...
       Nick of Nor Cal