fot

Ten Cathedrals Run - 2001

To: "Amicale Spitfire" <francois@amicale.com>,
Subject: Ten Cathedrals Run - 2001
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 21:12:57 +0100
Friends

A general post to get things out of the way and to give as much warning as
possible.

The Ten Cathedrals Run for 2001 (the first was only earlier this month) will
take place
next May on Sat 20th and Sun 21st. ALL models of Triumph are eligible. This
time it will
be going North / South. The route is still in the form of soft putty but will
probably be
Gaydon, Gloucester*, Cardiff*, Carmarthen, Chester*, Liverpool*, Carlisle,
Newcastle on
Tyne, Durham*, York*, Ripon*, Derby*, Lichfield*, Coventry*, Gaydon. *= a
cathedral city.
Overall distance about 800 miles and average speed for the event is in the
region of 30mph
(50kph). We know
the cars are well capable of doing much better than this but this was the
average for this
year's event and it allows a bit of time (though not much) for sightseeing,
deviating
from the route or just getting lost Three TR6PI's deviated this year, visited 18
cathedrals and listened to
the sermon in one of them! Money is to be raised for Charity though the Charity
is as yet
unidentified.

Entry is GBP15 per car to cover admin costs with all participants meeting their
own costs
for fuel, food and tolls.

On the entry form (which is only available from me or from a display at Gaydon)
I have
asked entrants to advise if they are
likely to have one or more spare seats for just a passenger or
passenger/driver. This is
because I had one or two requests from overseas listers who obviously wanted to
come along
for the ride on this year's event - but couldn't bring their car. It goes
without saying
that if any listers living outside the UK wanted to participate with their own
vehicles
next year, they would be most welcome. If you are a serious contender who can't
bring a
car but would like to join in as a passenger, I'm keeping details on file. Just
contact me
off-list. I'll just say that as a passenger/observer or passenger/driver, you
would be
expected to either raise sponsorship to a minimum of GBP50 ($80) per occupied
seat or make
a payment to that value to the charity in question. To those who have never
driven in the
UK before, it might be an idea to get used to gear-changing with your left hand
while
sitting in the passenger's seat of your left hand steer car! We don't want any
accidents.

After the 2001 event, The Ten Cathedrals Run will be a bi-annual undertaking so
as not to
conflict with the Club Triumph "Round Britain Run."

The event is restricted to no more than 50 cars so if you want to participate,
sign up
now.

Jonmac