fot

Evolution of tires, flares, etc.- Historical reference?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Evolution of tires, flares, etc.- Historical reference?
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:20:52 EDT
Gentlemen

    Do any of you know of an article or  book that I can read that chronicles
the introduction of flares, wider tires, etc. into racing in the 1960s.
through early 1970s - other than going through SCCA GCRs and other racing
organizations requirements from the time period?

    Having taken up the sport as part of a mid-life crisis leaves one missing
some historical perspective. That makes it extra useful to have the
perspective of those of you who were already racing in "vintage" times.

    I am left with the impression currently that tires sizes began increasing
in various classes after about 1965 to a point that flaring became necessary.
I am also left with the impression that tire construction was different
enough that the amount of race tire that was on the roadway in the late
60s/early 70s was sometimes larger than what current tire design would have
for the same size rim (or would need to provide equivalent traction). I also
was told that some of you that you used tires of about the same size then and
now.

    I suppose some of these differences are due to the competition classes of
the time. So now I know there is no one simple answer to this question. I
like to know more...(or become more confused !)

    Outside of doing asurvey of your collective expertise, is there a
reliable printed resource?

Cary