fot

Re: Evolution of tires, flares, etc.- Historical reference?

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Evolution of tires, flares, etc.- Historical reference?
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:36:05 EDT
EISANDIEGO@aol.com writes:

<< Do any of you know of an article or  book that I can read that chronicles
 the introduction of flares, wider tires, etc. into racing in the 1960s.
 through early 1970s - other than going through SCCA GCRs and other racing
 organizations requirements from the time period?  >>

I imagine that some of the list members have already pounded their electronic
pianos trying to access SCCA archives to look for this historical data.  I
may have spoken too soon.  Yesterday I moved several old engine blocks,
transmissions, etc. away from some steel shelves in the garage, loaded with
decades of old parts to find my stack of GCR's.

I should have them dating back to 1964, but the earliest one is 1972 with
several others missing leading up to the present.  I went through three moves
from June 1964 to August 1969, and the real early GCR's were probably lost or
in the attic, which is now almost impossible to access due to some shelves my
wife added to the cupboard

1972 is the first year log books were required for race cars -- this is the
year my log book started.  The 1972 GCR is still talking about the allowable
1-1/2" added to stock rims, which gives a rim width of 5-1/2" for the TR-3.
Presently, I am struggling to get another engine ready after my Cumberland
calamity.  When I am pulled away from the car due to wifely duties, I can
look for some more some more historical data in the GCR's.  Good luck.  Bill
Emery