fot

Re: One less Triumph

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, Tony Drews <tmccis@REVEALED.NET>
Subject: Re: One less Triumph
From: Wiezorek <gwizracing@cfu-cybernet.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:53:46 -0500
Jack W. Drews wrote:

> The Road America weekend went wonderfully until the Enduro.
>
> Uncle Jack set new personal best with several laps around 2:55.
>
> Tony started the Enduro, and about halfway through, the left rear axle
> broke while the car was in the middle of the caroussel, probably
> travelling 90 mph. The corner workers say it rolled three times. It did
> not hit the wall. The in-car video tape is spectacular.
>
> The axle failure was a classical fatigue failure starting at the end of
> the keyway. These were the new alloy axles and hubs, in use since 1997.
>
> All safety systems worked properly -- seat, belts, helmet. Tony's helmet
> did not touch the roof.
>
> Tony is okay but sore and is wlking kind of funny. The car is totally
> destroyed. Every body panel is unusable, except maybe the trunk lid and
> hood. Everything under the hood is intact, as is the fuel cell.
>
> It was a great car. The world is poorer for its loss.
>
> --
>
> TR6 -- 29 and still running
> TR4 -- 39 and no longer racing
> uncle jack -- temporarily sidelined

Jack,

I'm so sorry to hear about your car.  I really feel sad for your loss.
It was both fast and the best looking TR4 I ever saw, and I hope it will
see life again.

Tony,

I hope you are feeling OK!  I'm happy to hear that your injuries were
not serious.  I'm sure the aches and pain of the roll are only part of
the pain you feel.

I regret that I had to leave BRIC before the Enduro yesterday, (six hour
drive home) but I thought about you both as the start and finish time
came and went on our way home.  I feel bad that we were not there to
share your pain and thank the Lord with you that the injuries were not
serious.

Jack, I just read your message a few minutes ago and still can't believe
it.   The weather, the track, and earlier races in Group 2 were all
great this weekend. However, after the other serious incidents with the
open-wheel and the Enduro it was also very sad, and sobering.

If there is anything that I can do to help with your car, please let me
know.  I feel like my car is a very close sister to number 59.  If you
want a ride, you can drive number 96 anytime (we'll make some
modifications for your longer legs).

I think I'll get those axles and hubs out today to get checked for
cracks.

Take Care,
Gary
TR4 #96