fot

Re: Axles

To: "ALAN N. TAYLOR" <atenglish@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Axles
From: Bill Warner <bwarner@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:08:13 -0400
I broke the small stub axle on the Grp44 TR6 at Savannah....actually Jim
Netterstrom was driving at the time...and depending on when it breaks...can
result in either a gerarbox full of neutrals or a dramatic change in
direction...determined by the driving wheel.  I run a welded up locker, and we
are generating more HP and torque than the engine ever did in 1971-1976.  The
differential is, as I enderstand it, the old TR4A diff, and the small stub
axles within the housing struggle to take the torque we  now develope.  We
inspect the diff after every race, but I do not have a "redesign" answer.
There appears to be a lack of meat in the housing to allow increasing the
diameter of the shaft, so we are considering addressing it from a metallurgy
angle.  I am not exited about changing the design or configuration as I do not
feel that it is in the spirit of "vintage" racing (depending on whatever
someone's interpretation might be).  Any suggestions?   At least the TR8 has a
Franklin rear end with a Ford 9" pumpkin, so the rear end on that car is about
as bullet proof as one can get.  Bill Warner