fot

Re: What Are SCCA Racecars using For Axles ?

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Subject: Re: What Are SCCA Racecars using For Axles ?
From: Ernest Husmann <chusmann@execpc.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 19:21:55 -0500

EISANDIEGO@aol.com wrote:

> FOTers
>
>     I wondering if those of you who are still running in SCCA can comment on
> (1) what is being allowed by SCCA in the way of axle changes for Triumphs and
> (2) whether these changes have reduced/eliminated the axle failure problem.

I was at Road America this past weekend for a SCCA National Race.  Discussed
axles with two people who were running  TR6's in EP.  They both were running the
Corvair conversion and have been for over 5 years (believe one said 10 years)
apparently without any major problems like snapping axles or failing tech
inspections.

I  do know that one of the two was at the 1998 Runoffs and lead the better
portion of the race.  At RA this weekend he was only a tick of the EP pole.  So
it is not like these guys are easy on their equipment.

I believe both times the TR6 in question was bettered by the same car which is
one of the Killer Bees (sorry, only being honest and don't know if the advantage
is the rear axle or money).  To finish behind a well driven Killer Bee is not a
disgrace, but it would be nice to see a TR6 finish in-front of one some time.

Ernie Husmann