fot

Re: What Are SCCA Racecars using For Axles ?

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What Are SCCA Racecars using For Axles ?
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 07:09:07 -0400
Hi Cary,

At 06:51 PM 7/31/00 -0400, EISANDIEGO@aol.com wrote:
>FOTers
>
>     I wondering if those of you who are still running in SCCA can comment on
>(1) what is being allowed by SCCA in the way of axle changes for Triumphs and
>(2) whether these changes have reduced/eliminated the axle failure problem.

Unfortunately, the SCCA will not allow alternate differential
housings.  The internals
(axles, diffs, etc) are free, but the housing must remain the original
item.  Given
the relatively small size of the Triumph unit, this severely limits what can be
done - hence the uprated axles and hubs that Chip Bond and Jeff Snook made
up.  Both Chip Bond and Paul Cook have appealed to the Competition Board
several times each for relief since this is a safety item, and these axles have
not been made in 30+ years.  However, the answer every time was that "these
items are readily available - allowance denied"  In fact, this was part of the
reason that Chip sold his car last winter.

Hope that helps,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu