fot

RE: TR axle breakage - my theory

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: RE: TR axle breakage - my theory
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:53:53 -0400
>  Every hub / axle assembly that I've taken apart has exhibited a puzzling
>  thing. The surface appearance of the axle on the inboard third of the
>  mating surface has been different than the outer 2/3 or so.

Jack,

If the problem is caused by flexing and "bell mouthing", as you suspect,
the different appearing surface of the axle may hold the answer.  Do you
(or other FOT) have access to high magnification microscope or a SEM
(scanning electron microscope)?  I am wondering if the difference in the
appearance on the taper might be fretting or some other surface condition
which would reveal the mechanism causing difference in appearance and
possibly the failure too.

Please keep us informed of what other clues you may find.  Maybe we can
help.

Regards,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A