fot

Potential TR axle message #2

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Potential TR axle message #2
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 18:59:47 -0500
Thanks to all who responded regarding the POTENTIAL axle source. Some of
you presented really good suggestions, some presented valid questions.

Let me clarify how I see my role here -- I do not plan to coordinate
orders, I do not plan to handle any money, and I do not plan to make any
money on this.

What I will do is attempt to collect wisdom, suggestions, and
alternatives and whatever pertinint data that I can get hold of, and
present them to people who may be interested. Then you are on your own,
unless there are several people who would want to order simultaneously
for potential price break. I'll communicate only on the FOT list, since
that's where the interest is.

At the moment there are about ten interested TR folks, so I'm willing to
spend some more time on this, but not the rest of my life, since I've
already got about 30 hours in researching this and just have a good
start.

I received a really good suggestion that we identify all the
alternatives and evaluate them. I am willing to do that to a certain
extent. Please be patient and helpful.

Here are the alternatives of which I am aware. I can get this all in an
Excel spreadsheet but I don't know how many of you can open that.

1. Full floater retrofit to the TR axle housing -- none currently
available, and the one company, "Strange",  who makes retrofit kits for
4 x 4's is not interested in this project.

2.  Ted Schumacher has some ideas on a solution involving using some MG
parts, and when he gets home from Portland, I'll draw him into this.

3. MG axle - semi-floating, not full floating, but at least a wheel does
not come off. Shortening may not be required. Quaife is required.
Driveshaft yoke dimensions unknown. Comments from three others that
these tend to break axles (but not shed wheels) when the outboard
bearing bore is worn at all.

4. Austin Healey 3000 axle -- nearly identical in length. Different bolt
hole pattern. Yoke unknown. Quaife required.

5. Ford conversion. Axles normally converted to other uses are 9", 8.8",
and 8". The 8" is nearest in size but it is heavier than TR. Axles are
very available and parts are as near as your Ford dealer. I know of
three cars with this conversion. I have seen prices from $2000 to $3000.
I have not yet contacted the shop that did these conversions. The Auburn
limited slip that I was quoted has received one quite negative comment.
Good feedback. Thanks.

Here's the additional info I need at this moment that you can help with:

Yoke compatibility of MG and A-H with Triumph.
Good / bad DATA on MG and A-H.
What mfr's are there for limited slips besides Quaife and Auburn? I
haven't been able to find mfr's data on Salisbury type. Anybody have a
potential source?
Compatability between Quaifes that we already own, and MG or Healey
housings (I've asked Quaife but have no response).
Anectdotal info regarding experience with Auburn, Torq-Line, Detroit
Locker, and any other limited slips of which you're aware.

Have at it.

--

TR6 -- 29 and still running
TR4 -- 39 but no longer racing