fot

Re: Additional SCCA Questions ?

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu, BillB@bnj.com,
Subject: Re: Additional SCCA Questions ?
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:52:32 EDT
In a message dated 08/10/2000 11:10:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
kaskas@earthlink.net writes:

<< I broke a cou;ple TR-3 axles at the end into the diff but this I figured
was
 'cause I was using  the emergency brake onto just the right rear wheel and
 so everything was going into the one axle (no limited slips were allowed). I
 did see some fretting on the taper but lapping fixed that part.
 -- >>

Welcome back, Kas.

I have broken two axles, and two hubs in four incidents.  The two axles were
both in my TR3 and both at Grattan Raceway events.  A track that is rough on
equipment, but also my favorite to race.  I run a Detroit Locker.  In each
case the axle broke near the spline, and the wheel remained captured.  In
fact, no DNFs.  The hubs were both on the T-Bolt.  A left front, in a HOT
race at Blackhawk, where I started last (39th) and was up to 5th when it
broke.  I felt a shudder coming out of the chicane, and I eased up and pulled
off coming out of six.  As I came to a stop, the front wheel fell off.  Last
year in October, at IRP, I cracked a rear hub, but that was smacking a
concrete wall.  Dummy me, I finished the race.  Again, I felt a shudder and
eased up the last lap.

I must go to the right Church.

Bill Dentinger