fot

Re: TR axle breakage - solution

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: TR axle breakage - solution
From: Wiezorek <gwizracing@cfu-cybernet.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 23:53:52 -0500
Jack W. Drews wrote:

> As you know, several of us have been investigating alternative solutions
> to the TR axle breakage problem. The previous best solution appeared to
> be a Currie special-built axle for $1500.
>
> We now have an alternative solution that is far better and it costs only
> $700.
>
> Basically, it consists of shortening the present axle housing, welding
> on new ends, installing new Mosier one-piece axle / hub, and machining
> your brake backing plate to fit.
>
> The advantages should be pretty obvious -- same axle assembly so no
> weight penalty, TR brakes, TR driveshaft yoke, Much much stornger axle
> shaft, and axle retention in case of failure. (This is a semi-floater,
> which means that if an axle breaks inboard of the bearing, the wheel
> does not fall off, and the diameter of the axle outboard of the bearing
> is about double, so breakage is unlikely. There have been no known
> outboard failures by the circle track guys).
>
> Both TR4 and TR3 axles can be accommodated, and we will try to
> accommodate your stud diameter and length preference.
>
> The way the shop would prefer to handle payment is that the car owner
> will remove and send the axle to the machine shop along with a 50%
> deposit. They will perform all work, and upon completion you send them
> the other 50% and they send you the axle. You would pay shipping both
> ways, or you can take the axle to the shop and pick it up personally.
> The shop is in northwestern Illinois -- just outside Moline. Again, the
> machining and parts wil be about $700.
>
> The work will be done by a local reputable machine shop that is devoted
> to doing specialty machining work for the speed industry - circle, drag,
> tractor pulling, etc. They have a continual flow of axle alterations
> similar to this for circle and drag racers.
>
> My axle will be the guinea pig. We are ordering parts tomorrow and will
> perform all operations on my axle to make sure we have all the
> dimensions correct. We hope to have my axle completed in a month.
>
> Now -- my internet provider is having big problems -- if you want to
> correspond with me on this, keep trying. They will eventually get it
> fixed. Or, if you want to talk about it, call me at 309-945-1196.
>
> Again, I have no commercial interest in this. I will, however, provide
> laison with the machine shop if necessary, since they are not on the
> net. Once we are certain that my axle is okay, I'll give you the name of
> the machine shop and all particulars.
>
> --
>
> TR6 -- 29 and still running
> TR4 -- 39 but no longer racing
> uncle jack -- temporarily sidelined

Jack,

Good investigative work and perseverance!  It sounds like a workable
solution.  I am getting getting my current axles and hubs checked so I
can finish the season.  However after you get your axle re-worked I am
interested in coming down and dropping my axle assembly off for the same
modification.

Let me know how things go.

Thanks,
Gary  TR4 #96