fot

Re: 4.3 ltr. vs. GRM's rotary power

To: sbarr@mccarty-law.com
Subject: Re: 4.3 ltr. vs. GRM's rotary power
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:27:11 EDT
Scott

    I recall there was someone who had bolt in conversion kits for GT6s.
Wonder of those are still available? Same people had a conversion for the
240/260Zs.

    Having raced a Mazda ITS car for many years, I think that GRM's rotary
option is very interesting. Very durable lightweight engine capable of being
modified to some pretty hefty horsepower. The engine does not generate as
much torque as a 240Zs with which we directly competed, but it did need to be
completely torn down between races to keep it on the edge.

    If the SCCA had not placed the porting restriction that it did on the
rotary engines, the 240Zs would not have been competitive. It is a good
example of where SCCA did keep the class competitive until they allow newer
model Hondas without enough controls on the performance chips. First race,
the Hondas lowered the track records for the ITA Group at BIR by over 2
seconds. The record before that was held by the former SCCA president who was
running a professionally prepared 240Z that was of questionable legibility.

Cary