fot

S.U. Carbs - Butterflies

To: N197TR4@cs.com
Subject: S.U. Carbs - Butterflies
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 13:32:21 -0700
All this talk about Joe's butterflies reminds me of something...

When I was a teenager and got my first TR 4A running....  I was driving it for
about half a year when I finally started to really tinker with and learn about
my
S.U. carbs...

One day.. .I was studying how the butterflies opperated, by looking down the
throats of the carbs... and I noticed something odd... the geometry of the
linkage was wrong... at what as supposed to be "full throttle"... the
butterflies
were not opening all the way...  So I adjusted the linkage... (those little ball
joints, etc.)  and soon had it so that the butterfly was truly wide open on full
throttle.

Well... then I test drove the car... OH MY GOD....   It was the first time that
ever had full throttle... I owned a monster!  It felt like a V8...
Apparently,
even the original owner of the car didn't know...   as he was shocked to see
what
power the car really had.  It may have been  a screw-up from the factory itself!

Something to think about... if you've never bothered to really look and see if
your butterflies operate correctly!!!

On the other hand... If you're giving your teenage son a Triumph for his
birthday....   adjusting the linkage so that full throttle is not achieved for a
few months or a year...  without him knowing it....  might not be a bad idea...
: )   (Later, when's he's proved himself behind the wheel, you can be the "hero"
that manages to soup-up his car with a simple carb tune-up ....and linkage
readjustment...)

--Justin Wagner