fot

Butterflies Are Forever.

To: jmwagner@greenheart.com
Subject: Butterflies Are Forever.
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:04:17 EDT
Justin, et. al.,

Lack of full throttle is easy to overlook...did this on the race car, but
more observant son noticed and readjusted.

My dad also was aware of such throttle adjustments and mentioned that one of
his friend's dad placed washers under the 'loud pedal' to restrict full
throttle...AND THIS WAS IN THE 20s!!!!.

Dad threatened to do this to me, but it became unecessary as the state of
Iowa intervened...my date for the senior prom had to drive our family car
(57 Chevy, BTW)

Thanks again, for all of the responses.

Joe Alexander

<< All this talk about Joe's butterflies reminds me of something...

 When I was a teenager and got my first TR 4A running....  I was driving it
for
 about half a year when I finally started to really tinker with and learn
about my
 S.U. carbs...

 One day.. .I was studying how the butterflies opperated, by looking down the
 throats of the carbs... and I noticed something odd... the geometry of the
 linkage was wrong... at what as supposed to be "full throttle"... the
butterflies
 were not opening all the way...  So I adjusted the linkage... (those little
ball
 joints, etc.)  and soon had it so that the butterfly was truly wide open on
full
 throttle.

 Well... then I test drove the car... OH MY GOD....   It was the first time
that i
 ever had full throttle... I owned a monster!  It felt like a V8...
Apparently,
 even the original owner of the car didn't know...   as he was shocked to see
what
 power the car really had.  It may have been  a screw-up from the factory
itself!

 Something to think about... if you've never bothered to really look and see
if
 your butterflies operate correctly!!!

 On the other hand... If you're giving your teenage son a Triumph for his
 birthday....   adjusting the linkage so that full throttle is not achieved
for a
 few months or a year...  without him knowing it....  might not be a bad
idea...
 : )   (Later, when's he's proved himself behind the wheel, you can be the
"hero"
 that manages to soup-up his car with a simple carb tune-up ....and linkage
 readjustment...)

 --Justin Wagner