fot

scattersheilds

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: scattersheilds
From: mikee@ragtops.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:19:56 -0400
FOT,
    RE: The scattersheild discussion.
   Kevlar mat (and carbon fiber) is available
(from Fibreglast 1-800-821-3283
<www.fibreglast.com> (note British spelling)).
        My thought is to get the clutch
scattershield from Mordy, and then lay up mats
inside or outside the trans tunnel. The Italia has
a steel cover and it is slightly different from the
TRs, so I was planning on using it rather than
converting the floors to accept the plastic cover.
        I think that laying up Kevlar on the inside of
the steel (or plastic) cover would gain the
support of the cover without the hassle of the oil
soaked, water-logged, heat holding blanket
wrapped around the gearbox. Obviously, the
cover would become much heavier, but lighter
than the blanket since you're not adding
structure, just using what's there. The only
concern is the ricochet effect. Mats could be
added outside the cover as well if the clearance
inside is too close to the gearbox.
  I'm new at this so, please feel free to
straighten me out if this is a bad idea.

   My experience (not racing) says it is usually
the clutch/flywheel that is a concern, not the
gearbox. Does racing bear this out?
Michael Engard
1970 Rover 3500S
1961 Triumph Italia 2000 GT