fot

Triumphant Weekend

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumphant Weekend
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:21:43 -0400 (EDT)
Hi All,

Glad to hear that the CVAR event was, err uneventful - sorry to hear of
the Smock ventilated block and Ol' Blue's frame issues.

This weekend was somewhat special for me too, as I managed two Triumph
things in one day!

Sunday was the New England Region's "Team Challenge" at Moore Field in
Ayer, MA (pronounced Ayah). I got on the 'phone all last week and dragged
up a pretty good showing of Triumphs. Teams were made of 4 drivers, and
we had enough Triumphs to make two teams! Yes, eight Triumphs at an SCCA
Solo II event. This was a major reward for me to see these cars get out
to play.

I won't go into detail right here, but one of the two teams managed to
trophy in the event. Awesome. And it was great to see a Spitfire LeMans
replica, a TR8 that is mega-fast, a Supercharged V6 TR7, a GT6 and a
couple of TR6's out there.

But this writer also got a chance to participate in an interesting event
referred to as the "Stirling Moss Challenge" - see
www.ner.org/soloii/moss.html for details. Anyway, the idea of the
challenge is consistancy.

First off, it was somewhat of humbling experience driving against/with at
least 10 drivers (out of about 30 class winners) who are current or past
National Solo II champions. Second, it was great to just go out and have
some fun, as that was my goal.

Anyway, the winner is not announced until the annual regional meeting, so
I'll have to pony up for the banquet... but I did managed to run very
consistantly on my runs. All within .2 seconds raw time on a 45 second
course and two within a few thousandths. But I managed to "cone" on my
final run all but eliminating me from contention. DOH!

That's enough for now.
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |