fot

Lexan, was : Spitfire windshields

To: "Susan Hensley" <racespit@netzero.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lexan, was : Spitfire windshields
From: "fredd" <fal@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:08:43 -0700
> (Lexan is what they make bullet-proof windows out of, by the way.)

Lexan by itself is only used on very cheap low level armored cars, as in
money transporters.
Even then is has to be very thick, as 3/4" up to 1", and barely will stop a
.38spl.
So now you know that those very impressive looking Brinks trucks are, only
impressive, and their protection level is typical *you get what you pay
for*.

The only way Lexan is decent in armored glass is when laminated between
glass layers.
Lexan is good for lamination on the inside of glass to stop smach and grab,
as being used in the transit busses in the LA area.

BTW, since you guys are thinking about balistic transmission covers and
Lexan for your windshield, why don't we build you complete armored race cars
?
OK, they would be a bit slower due to the weight :))

I have build an armored Countach years ago for one customer.

fredd