fot

Lexan, was : Spitfire windshields

To: "jmwagner" <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Subject: Lexan, was : Spitfire windshields
From: "fredd" <fal@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:54:18 -0700
> Secondly...  I keep hearing about Plexiglass cracking...  but overall....
> wouldn't Plexiglass be the better choice?  You can polish Plexiglass...
Lexan,
> on the other hand, is very unforgiving.

Very correct, I forgot to mention that.
That is why those money transporters only have Lexan in the doors, never as
a windshield itself. On the windshield, if not solid very thick glass, the
Lexan is mounted behind the original windshield.

> While Plex might crack on an impact, it is unlikely (seems to me) to
create
> projectiles.

Plex will have sharper edges as Lexan.
But, they both can cut you.

> One of the racers mentioned to me, that after losing it in a turn, the car
> became enveloped in dust...  and a track helper reached over and whiped
down his
> windshield, so that he could see before returning to the track..... this
simple
> wipe down... scratched his Lexan beyond repair.

Same in said Brinks trucks, if the drivers wipe the inside of the Lexan, its
ruined.

fredd