fot

Re: C/R Gear Boxes

To: "David & Krystal Wingett" <elkhorn@megsinet.net>,
Subject: Re: C/R Gear Boxes
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:51:13 -0600
> any Vintage racing.  I don't have an old GCR, but tell me were
Transmissions
> "OPEN" or weren't they restricted to stock boxes with C/R gears?

FWIW, and for comments: I pulled the following from my 1967 and 1972 GCR and
PCS books. If I'm reading this correctly, Close Ratio transmissions on the
TR series were not allowed in 1972 except on the TR6 range. My organization,
CVAR uses the 1972 books for all groups except the historic production
class, Group 4, which must follow 1967 rules. I AM NOT suggesting that
anyone should change what they are doing. You late Spitfire guys have some
nice choices!

1967 and 1972 GCR: The following modifications are authorized on all
Production Category cars, the ratios of the gear bos and rear axle when
listed by the SCCA (in the PCS). O/D allowed in all cars.

1967 AND 1972 PCS TR4-TR4A inc IRS
1 - 3.14
2 - 2.01
3 - 1.33
4 - 1.00
Final drives: 3.7, 4.1, 4.3, 4.55         IN 1972 THEY ADDED 4.875

1967 AND 1972 TR2-TR3B
Std.
1 - 3.38
2 - 2.00
3 - 1.32
4 - 1.00
Alternate
1 - 3.14
2 - 2.01
3 - 1.33
4 - 1.00
Final drives: 3.7, 4.1, 4.3, 4.55

1967 AND 1972 PCS Spitfire thru Mk2,         ADDED Mk3 IN 1972 (same specs)
1 - 3.75
2 - 2.16
3 - 1.39
4 - 1.00
Alternate
1 - 2.93
2 - 1.78
3 - 1.25
4 - 1.00
Final drives: 4.11, 4.55,  4.88     (4.87 FOR  MK3)

1972 PCS Spitfire Mk4
1 - 2.65
2 - 1.78
3 - 1.25
4 - 1.00
Alternate
1 - 2.93
2 - 1.78
3 - 1.25
4 - 1.00
Alternate
1 - 3.75
2 - 2.16
3 - 1.39
4 - 1.00
Final drives: 3.89, 3.20, 4.10, 4.55,  4.87

1972 PCS GT6 , GT6+, GT6 MK3
1 - 2.65
2 - 1.78
3 - 1.25
4 - 1.00
Alternate
1 - 1.80
2 - 1.49
3 - 1.20
4 - 1.00
Final drives: 3.27, 3.89, 4.10, 4.55, MK3: 3.2 INSTEAD OF 3.27

1972 PCS TR250 AND TR5
1 - 3.14
2 - 2.01
3 - 1.33
4 - 1.00
Final drives: 3.45, 3.7, 4.1, 4.3, 4.55, 4.87

1972 PCS TR6 (TWIN 1.75"), TR6 (FI)
Std.
1 - 3.14
2 - 2.01
3 - 1.33
4 - 1.00
Alternate
1 - 1.88
2 - 1.42
3 - 1.24
4 - 1.00
Final drives: 3.45, 3.7, 4.1, 4.3, 4.55, 4.87

Bob Kramer
TR4, TR4A, TR6, 2.5 Saloon
rgk@flash.net