fot

Re: louvered hood

To: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Subject: Re: louvered hood
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:06:33 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I am hardly an expert on pre-'72 mods, but I do know that current rules
books pretty much frown on adding openings in the outer body work for any
reason. I'll go out on a limb and suggest this is a carry over from the
early days.

As near as I can figure, if the car didn't come with louvers or holes in
the body or whatever that you couldn't add them. I imagine that if you
did add them, you'd get classified in with the "mod" cars or "specials".

That having been said, I have also noticed some pictures of the Group 44
TR4 in particular with the rear of the "bonnet" propped up a bit under
way, no doubt to relieve any extra under hood temperature. My take of that
is that it was probably not specifically illegal, it's not in the spirit
of the rules.

Not that I don't like louvers - they do look kool when done right, but I'd
get a specific rules clarification before punching a bunch of them in a
TR3 bonnet.

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |