fot

Gearbox Problem

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox Problem
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:06:15 +0000
This past weekend found me up in Phoenix participating in the SCCA Divisional
SOLO 2 autocross.  I won my class, which isn't
particularly difficult when you run unopposed!

But during the Sunday's runs, I had a problem with my gearbox and would like to
ask the combined opinions of the group before I tear
the top cover off and have a look.  Here's what happened:

On a particularly fast part of the course, I found it necessary to briefly
shift into third.  At the end of the straight, I tried to
drop back down to second but the thing absolutely refused to go into gear until
the car had slowed down substantially.  THere was no
grinding, just didn't appear to be able to find the slot for the rails to go
into.  It finally did go into gear and I continued on
without any further difficulty, losing about 3 seconds of valuable time.  The
exact thing happened during the final run as well.  The
gearbox (late GT6) shifts just fine through all gears when sitting still or
moving around at a moderate pace.

Any suggestions?  Or is the car telling me that it didn't want to be
over-revved in a too quick downshift?

All comments are welcome, ....... even the snide ones!  :)

Joe (C)