fot

Re: Minilites

To: rgk@flash.net
Subject: Re: Minilites
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:25:38 EST
In a message dated 02/23/2001 4:04:43 PM Central Standard Time, rgk@flash.net
writes:

> I have a set of 15 x 6 magnesium Minilites that came with my TR4. I had them
> media blasted to remove the layers of paint and need to get them crack
> tested. I don't know who does that type of testing. Anyone have a
> suggestion.
>
> Also, I'm thinking that it would ultimately be safer to sell the Minilites
> and buy a new set of Panasports. Do real Minilites have any substantial
> value if I were to sell them?

It ain't cheap, but you need to test them like they test airline tires.  They
do it with a Black Light and penetrant.  The old mag wheels DO NOT stand up
to modern rubber well.  I know, as I have more than two dozen original mag
wheels.

Get a set of Panasports.  You'll add some spinning weight, but you'll be
safer.

As for resale, they have good value, as the purist likes them on a vintage
car.  I am down to ONE (-1-) set that I will still race on...but not for long.

Bill Dentinger