fot

Re: Octane ratings

To: Gt6steve@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net (FOT)
Subject: Re: Octane ratings
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:01:02 EST
In a message dated 20/03/01 23:44:19 GMT Standard Time, Gt6steve writes:

> Subj:Re: Octane ratings
> Date:20/03/01 23:44:19 GMT Standard Time
> From:Gt6steve
> To:GuyotLeonF
>
> Hello Leon,
> The American octane ratings shown are an average of the two major octane
> rating systems, MON and RON.  I believe RON was our old primary system and
> current octane are similar to the old Super and other ratings.  Presumably
> the same as yours.

Hi Steve,
Yes, I have just found out exactly what you state above, (everything is on
the net isn't it?) we are still using RON here, but we will catch up
eventually, I am sure! I believe from what I read that our 98 RON is pretty
much equivalent to your 94 R+M/2.

> The second question is a touchy political one and IMHO can be traced back to
> the hysterical press so loved at home.  I've run my Spitsix on these fuels
> (unleaded came here in about 1974) for it's whole life and have flogged
> this P out of it for every mile with no valve seat problems.

I have heard others expound this philosophy, and I sincerly hope you are
right. I also realise that some 'work harderning' of the cast iron cylinder
head in the valve seat area may help after a few years of use.

I suggest that your entire population has been sold a load of codswallop much
to the profit of the
> engine builders.

That's entirely possibly, but I somehow can't quite believe that there is a
major conspiracy of all concerned, simply to make a few engine builders rich,
but also I am sure they (the engine builders) would not wish to discourage
such claims.
(most of our population - those that don't drive elderly classics - don't
know, or care what they are putting into their cars, as long as it is as
cheap as possible...and you have heard about our prices! - actually, our gas
is really cheap, it's just the 84% tax that's is crippling us!)

> Just my opinions but I've been driving Brit cars since 1971 with no head
> problems.  Steve
>
> That is particularly reassuring to hear, and long may you continue to do
> so. Thanks very much for your reply and observations.

BTW, I read on an Audi list (no, I'm not subscribed) that Chevron and Texaco
are better than BP or ARCO.

Regards

Lion F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
1988 Volkswagen 1600GT Scirroco Coupe (Driver)
Wimbledon, London, England.