fot

Octane ratings

To: fot@autox.team.net (FOT)
Subject: Octane ratings
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:24:28 EST
Friends,

A question.

Whilst I was in Kansas City, MO recently, I noticed that there were various
grades of pump gas available, i.e.

'Regular Unleaded' at 87 Octane for 1.329 USD/US Gallon
'Unleaded Plus' at 89 Octane for 1.429 USD/US Gallon
'Premium Unleaded' at 91 Octane for 1.529 USD/US Gallon

This was at a 'Philips 66' gas stop

My queries are several, firstly are the Octane ratings shown above measured
on the same critera as here in Europe? They seem remarkably low c/w ours here
in the UK:

We have 'Super Unleaded' at 95 Octane

'Premium Unleaded' at 98 Octane
which contains Benzine/Benzene (shortly to be outlawed, I believe), and

'LRP' (Lead Replacement Petrol) at 97 Octane
which contains some (but insufficient) potassium additive to help protect
soft valve seats from recession.

I won't mention the price, just multiply yours by a factor of 6.

Second question:
I wonder also if there is any higher Octane pump fuel available at other gas
stations in Missouri and other nearby States?  If so, please let me know the
names of the gas station chains?

Third question, how on earth do you protect the soft (cast iron) valve seats
on your 6-cylinder Triumph Engines (TR6 especially) against valve seat
recession, let alone actually get your high-compression engines to run on
such low Octane gas?

Fourth and final question, (for now), out of all the commonly available
Octane Boosters/Lead Substitutes in the USA, which ones are favoured by the
FOT'ers?

Thanks very much for bearing with me

Kind Regards

Lion F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
1988 Volkswagen 1600GT Scirroco Coupe (Driver)
Wimbledon, London, England.