fot

Re: X-Flow head

To: Rikrock@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: X-Flow head
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:53:42 EST
In a message dated 03/30/2001 7:38:43 PM Central Standard Time,
Rikrock@aol.com writes:

> Yep, the book I am reading (Triumph TR Maintenance Modification & Tuning)
> doesn't go in to all the details, but it does suggest that the  x-flow head
> is designed to be used along with the large bore kit sold by Lawrencetune.
> They offered two oversize kits that  required machining of the block and
> yielded either 2480 or 2598cc.
>
> In 1967 the price on the x-flow alloy head was 195 Pounds.  The 2598cc
> liners and pistons cost 65 Pounds.

Amici:

My first inclination is that all this talk about a cross flow head for the
TRIUMPH TR engine has been generated by our close proximity to APRIL FOOLS
DAY.

A cross flow head would provide opportunities to make things less
complicated, and thoughts of getting that exhaust header on the other side of
the block and away from the carbs is certainly a turn on.

As with every racing upgrade, you tend to expose the next weakest link, and
history tells us...it did not happen.  Why not?  Problems?  Was the next weak
point the block?

Love to hear some input from people with hands on experience.

Bill Dentinger