fot

Re: fot-digest V1 #305

To: fot@autox.team.net, ianhome@acohs.com.au
Subject: Re: fot-digest V1 #305
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:43:34 EDT
In a message dated 01/04/01 17:20:04 GMT Daylight Time, Ian Cowie writes:

> That said has anyone any knowledge as to a swap for the rack and pinion, as
> the one in it even though rebuilt from old parts and reshimmed is still a
> bit vague. My 4A's is tight as a drum, and this lack of precision in the
> Spitty is really noticeable to me.. Can I fit a TR4 rack/pinion for
example.
> Or Subaru, Datsun ... anything?
>
> Ian,

But why?

You say yours has been rebuilt from 'old parts' and 'reshimmed', who did it?
It shouldn't be even in the slightest bit 'vague', there is good reason that
Triumphs' rack and pinion was copied by so many other manufacturers and also
good reasons thar Lotus used the Triumph front suspension and steering on
many of their contemporary cars...Triumphs may be criticised for many things,
but their steering accuracy is certainly not one of them!

I have had several rebuilt racks over the years, (5 so far as I recall, and 2
of them were rebuilt poorly, and required replacement immediately), which
does of course not mean that there is anything wrong with the actual
design...

With all due respect, I suggest you change your supplier!

There should be NO lack of precision, in fact, if anything, the Spitfires
rack and pinion should be even more accurate than the TR4. (no disrespect to
TR's).

FWIW, Moss Europe were at one time, fairly recently supplying what they
termed as their 'Quick Rack', obviously at a price premium...about 140 GBP
from what I recall.

My own 'normal' rack, was built up from 'all new parts' is indeed tight as a
drum, and cost me around 80 GBP in 1996.

May I suggest you try Canley Classics in Coventry, UK for a properly rebuilt
rack?
They have always been reliable AFAIK.

They can also supply a set of aluminium steering rack mounts that should make
a lot of difference, if you don't already have them fitted?

Good Luck

Lion F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
1988 Volkswagen 1600GT Scirroco Coupe (Driver)
Wimbledon, London, England.